4/06/2008

Old people suck


A picture from my tenant manual regarding trash


It is 7:25 here in the morning and I am really hating old people right about now. Because they are useless! In Japan garbage has to be sorted into separate bags and placed in a specific place or you get fined. And each day is a different type of garbage. Burnables on Monday (月)and Thursday (木), Non-burnables on Wednesday (水), PET Bottles on Tuesday (火), and mystery day on Friday (金). Now for the longest time I didn't even know what went into what category. Being an American in my book everything is burnable Apple cores, batteries, Styrofoam, buckets made out of lead, and even fire (you can burn a fire with an even hotter fire). So I just threw my trash on the floor of my apartment and made it into a slimey carpet (some of it is still on the floor). But then one day I decided to be a bit more civilized, so I bought individualized trash bins to help me sort out my garbage. But even then I still didn't know what went where, so I just threw the bins on the floor to and just stepped over them, they were the speed bumps of life.

Eventually I did figure out how to sort my garbage (I think!?!). So I was feeling pretty good now I just needed to know where to put it to be collected by the sanitation workers? No problem I thought I would just ask one of my elderly neighbors who are always in tending to their gardens in the wee hours of the morning. WRONG!!! And this brings me to the specific reason I hate old people. I walked up to Neighbor A and asked her nicely "doko ni garakuta" (where trash?) she replied "No". I was thinking to myself here ummm surely you must know where, I mean you have to put your garbage somewhere. Then I started thinking maybe she thinks her garbage is too good for my garbage and she doesn't want the two to intermingle. So I go to neighbor B same question same response!?! At this point I am just like WTF!!! See if I was to be a typical American and just throw my garbage over the fence into one of my neighbors' yards, they would be all like "young people today don't have respect for the elders, and they don't follow the rules". Well old people maybe if you tell young people what to do they will follow the rules.

So now I have all my trash around my washing machine like some kind of filthy moat. In fact the trash is kind of like acid; like when I was a kid jumping on certain tiles in school, black would be safe and white would be acid. So if I take clothes out of my washing machine and they fall into the trash moat they instantly become trash too, I don't feel like trying to salvage clothes that have fallen into a pool of blood from meat and rotten vegetable juice and what ever else is in my trashy moat.

No comments: